Here are some road safety tips for walking to school.
- Use supervised or controlled crossing points such as pedestrian crossing, school patrol and traffic lights, wherever possible.
- At pedestrian crossings, wait until all traffic has stopped before crossing the road. It is a good idea to make eye contact with the car drivers before you step off the pavement.
- If there is no formal crossing point, make sure you cross away from buses, parked cars and corners so that motorists can easily see you.
- Look and listen for traffic in all directions. If there is traffic coming, wait until it has passed. Look and listen for traffic again.
- When there is no traffic coming, walk quickly straight across the road, looking each way for traffic.
- Check that driveways are clear. If there are cars in the driveway, make sure drivers are aware of your presence before you walk across it. Beware of driveways with high fences, walls and hedges. They may stop drivers from seeing you on the footpath.